Ableton Live – What is it?October 23, 2008
Ableton has been allowing musicians to develop their sequenced music and transfer it to the live environment for years, going from being a simple loop based piece of software to becoming the extremely powerful and intuitive program that we know today.
One of its main strengths lies in its dual view ability, “Session View” and the “Arrangement View”. This means the user can define the most appropriate view for the application intended. Be that running like a standard audio sequencer program or powerful real time audio manipulation program.
The program is now that comprehensive that there are even courses designed solely for the Ableton user to learn the full capabilities of the program
The Live Concept
Live offers two main views—the Session View and the Arrangement View—that interact in a powerful and unique way, allowing you to create, produce and perform your music all in a single application. Here is the principle behind each view:
Live’s unique Session View acts as a powerful musical sketch and launch pad, allowing you to try out new ideas easily and improvise freely. Each cell in the Session View grid can hold a recording, MIDI file, or any other musical idea. These ideas can be recorded on the fly or dragged in from the Browser and played in any order and at any time you wish.
The Arrangement View offers a timeline-based approach for traditional multitrack recording, MIDI sequencing and other music production tasks. You can even improvise in the Session View, and all of your actions will be recorded into the Arrangement View, where they can be edited whenever you like.
Elastic Audio Manipulate the tempo and feel of your music as it plays.
Uninterrupted Creative Flow Record, mix, match and add effects without ever stopping the music.
For Studios Bring the creative power of Live to your studio environment.
For Beat Creators Streamline your beat production and gain endless creative possibilities.
For DJs Elevate your DJ sets. Remix, mash up and produce your music.
No Idea Lost Effortlessly build and browse your library of musical ideas.
Live 7 Features
- Multitrack recording up to 32-bit/192kHz
- Complete nondestructive editing with unlimited undo
- Powerful and creative MIDI sequencing of software and hardware instruments
- Real-time time-stretching and warping of AIFF, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC and MP3 files, for improvisation and instant remixing
- A comprehensive selection of built-in audio effects, including a host of creative delays, filters, distortions, studio compressors and EQs
- Built-in software instruments: Simpler for creative sample-based synthesis, Impulse for sampled drums
- Instrument-, Drum-, Effect Racks for creating and managing complex performance setups, drum kits and multi-effects
- VST and AU effects and instruments support; automatic plug-in delay compensation
- REX file support and native sliced audio file creation
- Video import and export for scoring to picture or warping picture to music
- Real-time control of parameters with any MIDI controller—just MIDI-map it or choose from a list of popular supported controllers for instant mapping
- Full ReWire support
- Single-screen user interface for simple, creativity-focused operation
- Multicore and multiprocessor support
Essential Instrument Collection 2
The boxed version* of Ableton Live 7 includes the Essential Instrument Collection 2, a multi-gigabyte library of meticulously sampled instruments providing a choice selection of acoustic and electric pianos, guitars, bass, drums, orchestral strings, brass, woodwinds and more.
* Not included with boxed upgrades.
micromodul LX2 is a custom-made, pocket-size controller of 2nd generation for use with Ableton Live. It was designed as a supplement to our LV2. While the LV2 offers all faders, encoders and a joystick, the LX2 offers a lot of key functions for controlling tracks, clips, scenes, track select and fx. All this is achieved with 56 buttons and 49…
Micromodul LC2 is a pocket-size, custom-made controller for Ableton Live. Lots of different control elements are integrated into this controller. This combination is the real strength of the LC2. This inexpensive controller unifies faders, encoders, buttons and joystick in a very compact form. You can use the programmable button row (6 buttons) to…
GET FREE ABLETON OPERATOR! OFFER ENDS OCT. 30th. Ableton Live 7 is your companion during every stage of the musical process, from creation to production to performance. The Live Concept Live offers two main views—the Session View and the Arrangement View—that interact in a powerful and unique way, allowing you to…
GET FREE ABLETON OPERATOR! OFFER ENDS OCT. 30th. Live LE offers two main views—the Session View and the Arrangement View—that interact in a powerful and unique way, allowing you to create, produce and perform your music all in a single application. Here is the principle behind each view: Session View …
Over 2 hours of instruction on Ableton Live by Morgan Pottruff, aka Morg, veteran international performer, producer and remixer. Morg has used Live for everything from electronic-classical to techno since version 1. He has a great pace and knack for making the difficult seem so easy. If you own Live then you need to own this DVD! Over…